Wednesday 4 October 2017

Radiohead

Musical Inspirations


The Smiths...

Known for their historical stamp on the indie scene, they created the weird and hallucination, psychedelic style that Radiohead have adapted, it is most prevalent in their album Kid A, with its interesting chords and background noises which creates a sense of dream state hallucinations, seen relevantly in Radioheads "How to disappear completely" on the album Kid A. Seen below. This is a huge inspiration on Thom Yorke, saying...


"I think I went [to Smiths shows] about ten or fifteen times. I'd stay with him and we saw a couple of shows." ~ Thom Yorke



... and was also a huge influence Ed O'Brien, saying...


"I only went to Manchester really because of the music scene and really because of the Smiths. And when I got there, within a month I got seven Smiths shows." ~ Ed O'Brien





The Pixies and Throwing Muses...


Known for their huge stamp on the alternative rock movement, basically making Nirvana and more what they were, there is no wonder that The Pixies were a huge influence on Radiohead and their first album, especially the song "Creep"... especially when the MTV Unplugged version is the exactly the same as The Pixies live recordings. Throwing Muses replicate this feeling with more standard style songs (without the weirdness of The Pixies).





- "Our teenage years we were all about going down to London and seeing all of favorite Boston bands, Throwing Muses and Pixies — that sort of music, really. Boston is so much cooler. I had no idea, I had never been anywhere near America." ~ Jonny Greenwood




















Fleetwood Mac...


Known for their creativity and versatility in music, fleetwood mac seems like an easy inspiration for Radiohead. An influence that is seen in their changing style in albums. Also the way the drums and bass are composed harkons to Fleetwood Mac. A weird but understandable comparision would be Paranoid Android by Radiohead.


- "Well I try to tell everyone, I'm a complete fan of Fleetwood Mac. I put a couple of thing on the webcast and I thought I would hear some mutterings about it. I didn't say what it was, and they'd say, 'Wow, that was great, what was it?' and I would say, 'Fleetwood Mac, you bastards!' Our manager introduced me to Fleetwood Mac years ago because he knows Peter Green-era, sort of psychedelic folk blues. Just the way it was recorded with the drums, the dry drums with the percussion in the background. Just really amazing and it sounds really modern to me as well. I just think it's great." ~ Colin Greenwood

No comments:

Post a Comment